Sunday, December 6, 2015

RIDE - "NOTHING LASTS FOREVER" B-Side Greatness from the TARANTULA Era


A little back story to this song, or rather the album it came from, TARANTULA: 

It was 1996, I was a big Ride fan barely into my 20's. I had immensely enjoyed their previous effort, the 60's psychedelia influenced, CARNIVAL OF LIGHT from 1994. A lot fans slagged that album because they pretty much shed their shoegaze sound which they were known for throughout their 5 year or so career up to that point. But I thought that was silly, band grow, they develop, they lack to challenge themselves. The STONES ROSES took a similar course and in 1993 released the pretty underrated SECOND COMING which itself was influenced by the guitar heroics of the late 60's and early 70's and had a general 'classic rock' influence in the mix.
Come 1996, I walk into NYC's Tower Records one day and out of nowhere (no pun intended, Ride fans) I see the new RIDE album entitled TARANTULA. I'm pretty sure I purchased it right away. I was pretty surprised to see it because it was released to little fanfare. Little did I know that the band had apparently broken up by it's release. 



It was an interesting album, but when I first heard it, I suppose I was slightly disappointed with it and did not enjoy it as much as CARNIVAL OF LIGHT. A few years later, I came across a Japanese or German version of the CD with the 3 bonus tracks that were included on the albums only singe "Black Night Crash". These bonus tracks were excellent, and I'm including my favorite one here "Nothing Lasts Forever" which should please the fans of their earlier shoegaze heavy sound. This is a wonderful track that would have nicely fit into their previous effort, GOING BLANK AGAIN. A great song that seems to lament their final days going into 1996 with a wonderful guitar sound that predominates throughout. A Youtube poster commented quite rightly on the magnificent guitar sound heard on the song:

"The upside is the guitar work is absolutely stunning on here esp the break from 2:15 - 2:58 it blows me away every single time. For me - one of Ride's finest & most addictive songs. A complete and utter gem. Thank you, Ride!!"



  If your a RIDE fan, or a fan of shoegaze, dreampop, psychedelia, etc find time if you can to hear this tune plus the whole album if possible. Track it down, you won't be disappointed, it is an excellent listen and due for a reappraisal. And isn't it wonderful that RIDE has reunited in the past year? Here is to hoping that a new album is in the works by this wonderful band led by Andy Bell, Mark Gardener and Company.



Another great song, the swanky, retro-rock of "The DAWN PATROL"


No comments:

Post a Comment